Sunny Coast Health and Fitness

Sunny Coast Health and Fitness
Information. Inspiration. Community

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Accelerate Health and Performance: Re-Evaluating The Cost of a Personal Trainer

I've been a Personal Trainer for six years now and there is one thing that definitely hasn't changed in that time. "I can't afford it" is still by far the most common reason people give as to why they cannot have a PT. Sometimes this is absolutely the case. Sometimes this is just an excuse or a misunderstanding of the truth. I don't mean that as a sarcastic way of saying it's a lie. I mean it is a misunderstanding of the truth. Keep reading...you'll see!

Personal Trainer's can be expensive, especially if you only look at the cost. But if you look at everything you stand to gain it starts to become quite cheap and extremely good value! It's almost like shares....but better! Keep reading....you'll see!

A couple of months ago I posted a question on my Facebook page just to gauge the thoughts and feelings of people about what is holding them back from their health and fitness goals...the response was FAR more than I expected. I learned HEAPS and it has given me a multitude of ideas that I hope to put into action soon.

So throughout the discussions we were having a girl said the following...
"Every gym is intimidating, no trainer wants to help if you aren't paying them to specifically train you, it's awful, I thought men and women worked at gyms to help people like us who don't know what to do, instead we have to pay even more money to get that.. It's kind of ironic."

In part this pissed me off and in part this just made me sad and frustrated with the Fitness Industry. Gyms can be intimidating. I completely admit that. I don't always feel comfortable in gyms myself. Even the one I work in. To say that absolutely all gyms are intimidating and that gyms are intimidating at all times is just not the case. Not only is it subjective but to a certain extent you've got to cop it on the chin a bit and accept that the gym isn't always going to be your favourite place to be but it's where you want to be or may need to be. I'm not the biggest or the strongest but I have shit I want to do...complaining isn't going to get it done. I suck it up, work hard and move forward. For me, it's worth it.

That comment was posted at about 3:00pm...at 3:30pm I was helping a gym member through a leg session. He is an apprentice electrician. He can't afford Personal Training but he is in the gym most days working hard and trying to reach his goals. He is a good guy who wants to work hard. I offered to help him. He didn't ask. At the end of the session he shook my hand and said thanks and that was it. Three months later we still train legs together every Wednesday...

"no trainer wants to help if you aren't paying them to specifically train you, it's awful, I thought men and woman worked at gyms to help people like us who don't know what to do" - BULLSHIT. This bit just pissed me off. I am not the exception to the rule. I am one of many. Yes there are arseholes in the industry. There are arseholes in every industry. No, we aren't all arseholes. Please don't paint us all with one brush.

"instead we have to pay even more money to get that.. It's kind of ironic." ...This bit pissed me off too.
Gyms actually don't make a huge amount of money once all the overheads are covered. How much do you think a gym membership would cost if gyms started paying their PT's a wage? Some gym do run this way. Those gyms are small and few and far between and for good reason.

Do snacks come complimentary with your movie ticket? Didn't think so.
Yes, you do have to pay extra for a Personal Trainer. I've known this girl for a while and I trained two of her Aunties and her cousin for years. She's a very nice girl and I have a lot of time for her. Her opinion is valid, as everyone's is, but I think it's a little misguided. Like I said...it kind of pissed me off at first...but then it got me thinking further which was the whole point of the exercise in the first place...

Why do people think that Personal Training is just a cost and not an investment?

Most PT marketing and sales articles will tell you that Personal Training is a "numbers game" and that you have to talk to everyone and try to sell to everyone...I HATE THAT SHIT and I hate that people have the perception that all Personal Trainers are like that. Some are...I can't deny that...but I am not.

Money is without a doubt the number one reason people give when asked why they would not be able to engage in Personal Training. And it is often a valid reason. Money doesn't grow on trees...trust me...I've tried!

http://media3.picsearch.com/is?Wog9V7y6FUsc0VaW6euoffL2sCkE2iwS1otLI4V3vVs&height=220

But is it really not worth the sacrifices? If there was some way that you could make it work wouldn't you want to give it a red hot go?

http://media5.picsearch.com/is?sFOOynKnrhhGMy5BrTYOezYdPJaQOG42QsKIbdJtElk&height=205
* Only old people will get this Phil Collins/Sacrifice reference. #sacarafice

Standard dialogue with a Personal Training enquiry...
Enquirer: "I really want to lose some weight because I'm not happy with my body and I want to get a bit fitter and healthier because I'm always really tired and I get sick all the time and I'd like to get a bit stronger because I'd like to be able to do a push up and one day a chin up. Do you think that's possible?"
Personal Trainer: "Absolutely. They're really good goals. If you train hard and smart you will be able to get there. I'd be happy to help you!"
E: "Ok, cool! I was thinking of doing two sessions per week to start and then maybe adding a third session when I'm fitter. How much would that cost?"
PT: "Two sessions per week will cost you 'x' dollars."
E: "Oh...I can only afford 'y' dollars. I'll have to think about it and get back to you."

They don't get back to you unless you follow it up. I've had that conversation 4,000,000 times.
Let's break it down...Let's jam!

11140107_762409970525053_5673087392304433307_n
* Having a jam with my sister circa 1989 - Rain hat & truck PJ's #fashionable *

The client wants to lose weight, be healthier, be fitter and be stronger...
Short list, right? Not quite...
What comes with achieving all those goals listed?

Losing weight will breed self-confidence which will flow through the rest of your world and lead to huge gains in the work place, in your home life and even in your love life. More confidence means you're more outgoing at work and more likely to gain more shifts or even gain promotion. All of a sudden you could be financially better off quite directly from engaging in Personal Training!
Being happier in your work life will make you happier at home...more money, less stress will always make for a better home and social life. That needs no explanation. And as for romance...bom chicka wow wow! If you're looking better and feeling better about yourself and how you look you're more likely to attract a lady/man friend. Again...I don't need to explain how that works out well for you...bom chicka wow wow!


So all of a sudden you're making more money, having more fun and getting more sex?

images
 
But what about the health benefits?
This one is EASY...
Being healthier means less days off work, less days wasted in bed, less trips to the doctor, less trips to the chemist.
"But Mitch...being healthier is only giving me less of stuff!?"
With all of the above comes more time at work which means making more money which means more money to do fun stuff and because you're less sick you can indeed do more fun stuff!
#signmeup

"But Mitch...will I be fitter and stronger?"
BLOODY OATH!...AND that will make all the cool stuff above even more fun because you will be able to do funner stuff and more of it!

Rather than looking at how much a trainer will cost you, look at what you can get out of it. Look at the things that you will cut out of your life in order to maximise the positive effect of your training. Look at how happy and satisfied you will be when you reach your goals. Look at how much that will improve your life. Now put a price tag on how good all that good stuff will feel...How much is it worth now???

And that's just one simple example off the top of my head...give me any scenario and I am confident that I can explain how and why investing in your health with a good Personal Trainer can help. Not just me either...if you're anywhere in Australia I can refer to someone I would trust to train you in about ten minutes flat.

Yes, Personal Training can be (I prefer "seem to be") expensive. It can be a luxury that you simply can't afford. I can't deny that. Personal Training can also be PRICELESS. With a good trainer Personal Training can be far more than just coughing up dough at the end of a session and sore legs the next day. It can be a new lease of life, new friendships and new perspectives on the world that you simply cannot buy.

Talk to a trainer and talk about their product and how it can help you. You might find it's far less costly than you think...you might also find that it's the other stuff in your life that you can no longer afford.

Leave a comment...share it...like it...whatever you need to do. As always please refer all complaints and hate mail to the admin of this page.

Mitch
Accelerate Health and Performance
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/acceleratehealthandperformance/
Instagram: @mitchellknightpt

No comments:

Post a Comment