Sunny Coast Health and Fitness

Sunny Coast Health and Fitness
Information. Inspiration. Community

Monday 1 February 2016

MAB Personal Training and Adventures: "Hill? What Hill?"

Want to spice up your week with a burner? Want to get your butt working that little bit more? Want to get your heart rate up that littler higher? Want to maximize the time you’re your available to train? Then find a hill and base your workout around that. The physical & mental gains are totally worth it.
 
The mental challenge of a hill is probably the biggest gain of all. The physical pain will test you, the mental strength will empower you. When your body wants to stop and you keep pushing, the benefits in that moment and every area of life are huge. Before Christmas I challenged myself to do Moffat Beach hill, 10 times every week for 8 weeks and I never had a week that was easy. I got faster, stronger, I pushed harder, I felt more confident within myself, I felt more empowered and that is why the challenge of hills are awesome. I also find hills can be a great outlet to let some steam off, if I have had a challenging day I can let it go with a grunt on a hill.
 

Moffat Hill
Arthur Hill











                                                  
My personal favorites are Arthur Street in Caloundra and Moffat Hill in Moffat Beach. I find Arthur is steeper and harder though shorter. I find Moffat is not as steep, though longer and it has a change of tempo which kicks in a different burn. The thing is, a hill changes everything, it activates different muscles, gets the glutes on fire, it burns if you push, it tests your willingness and commitment.
 
I asked many of my Sunshine Coast friends what their favorite hills are and the most popular were
     Moffat Beach Hill, Moffat Beach
     Browning Boulevard, Battery Hill
     Maree Street, Little Mountain
     Grassed Hill – Point Cartwright
     Dixon Road, Buderim
     Ballinger Road, Buderim,
     Sommerset Drive, Buderim
     Cogill Road, Buderim
     Arthur Street, Caloundra
     Pacific Terrace, Alex
     Citrus Road, Palmwoods
     Koala Park, Nambour
     Narrows Road, Montville
     Maleny-Landsborough Rd (Maleny range)
     Noosa Summit
     Stairs (like a hill) Hasting Street, Noosa Heads
 
Then throw one of these in as addition to spice up that hill by either doing:
A.   Repetitive hills, e.g 10 runs or walks if you cannot run, walking up a hill will still better than no hill.
B.   Sprints with rest, 100% effort and give yourself a full recovery rest between sprints, max 20mins for total workout
C.   Add body weight exercises into it, pick 5 exercises (e.g. burpees, pushups, squats, situps, lunges) do 10 reps of each exercise, run the hill and repeat 5 times.
 
I see a hill how I see a mountain, a challenge to the top. Like life, I need to be focused, be prepared for it hurt, be prepared for it not to be easy, be prepared to embrace the challenge, be willing to adapt, and do it well and put in 100%, get to the top of that hill feeling proud of myself, taking in the reward of the view at the top and feeling like I can take on the world.
 
Great quote by Craig Harper that resonated with me.

Overall I like to promote how fitness can be fun, I personally find hills fun, I choose to see the fun, I choose to make it fun, plus the outcome it’s totally fun having strong legs. The thing is, if being active can be fun it is easier for you to keep it in your lifestyle, it will help you stay motivated, so give it a go, try some hills on the Sunny Coast, don’t do it every day, now that won’t be fun… mix it up, variety is the key my friends.
 
Please share your hill workouts. Do a starjump after it and #mabstarjump so I can share the burn… (ps the starjump represents, live big, love big, dream big and do lots of starjumps because life is totally worth celebrating).
Happy hill running all.
 
Mel x
 
SPECIAL SCH&F OFFER:
 
1. Try a one on one private MAB Adventure for a SCH&F special $99
or
2. Unlimited Bootcamps for one month $99 CODE---- SCH&FOFFER
 
facebook.com/MABPT
@mabptadventures
Melinda Bingley 0401286200
 





No comments:

Post a Comment